Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Interview With Jessica Chilous.

Interview with Jessica Chilous


Modesty is Next to Beauty: So what is it like being a Marines wife?


Jessica: It is difficult- but it is all we've known since we have been married! He proposed before he left for boot camp, and 8 months later, we were married. He is gone a lot- in the 2 1/2 years we have been married, I'd say he's only been around about a year of it- but when he returns it is always a joyous thing! While it is hard, it is really rewarding as well, it brings us closer together in the sense that we have actually been through something most couples don't. When he is out next year, I think it will be an even weirder adjustment having him here 24/7 haha!


Modesty is Next to Beauty: How did you and your husband meet?


Jessica: In high school- we both had the same friends and somehow never met until 10th grade. We formally met at a friends birthday party in January 2004 and were friends until junior prom when we decided to pursue dating. Neither of us had ever dated or anything so it was extra special to us, and new and dorky but I wouldn't have it any other way.


Modesty is Next to Beauty: So when did you know your husband was the one God wanted for you?


Jessica: I felt that God brought him to me to help me find my way back to Christianity. When we met, I had no interest in religion and was very lost. He was a very serious Christian (which caused problems between us at first) and ended up convincing me to come to church with him after YEARS of asking. I feel that because of that, and the way he brought me out of many dark situations- and his patience with me that he was a gift to me from God.


Modesty is Next to Beauty: What has having a child and one on the way done for you? how has it affected you?


Jessica: I do believe that having Jackson (her son) here and having another on the way is bringing my family closer...I am close to them, though they are not close to each other. (My parents don't really speak anymore, but still live together etc) But I am thankful for them, my siblings, and my husband's family- they are amazing!


Modesty is Next to Beauty: Do you sew? or have you taken up any hobbies for free time?


                                   Jessica: I desperately wish to learn to sew! I actually am starting to learn to crochet, but it is a bit hard to do- my hands are always full with my big baby! I do keep journals though- I have since I was about 10, and just keep a log of all of my thoughts and revelations. It is really fun to look back at older journals and see how far I've come! :)



Modesty is Next to Beauty: How did your husband feel about your change in opinions concerning modesty?


                               Jessica: He is very "whatever makes you happy" when it comes to me haha! He very rarely voices negativity when it comes to decisions I make! When he came back from Afghanistan last year, I was probably at my worst- I had shaved my head, had several piercings, and just lost myself in the world. Shortly after he returned, I found out I was pregnant and my whole world changed. I kept having visions of motherhood and couldn't see myself giving it my all the way I was! I was all about me and my wants and impulse. I recognized that children are little sponges who take in EVERYTHING we do and we absolutely have to lead by example.

The process was gradual- and each step my husband supported me. Honestly he LOVES the change and also hopes to teach our daughters (Lord willing we have some!) the same standards. He sees how important it is especially in this culture. It makes him happy :)


Modesty is Next to Beauty: So do you have any advice for stay at home mothers that you could hand off? :-)


Jessica: Just to be mindful of your actions and not just your words- children are the light of the world and are your heritage. And to never be discouraged if you can't do everything- you are only human! God will pick up where you leave off! :) Just take life one day at a time so you don't miss anything, and to never be afraid to ask for help!


Modesty is Next to Beauty: Do you have any advice for newly wed wives? or soon to be first time mothers?



Jessica: For newlyweds- marriage is a joyous occasion but also a huge adjustment, just keep communication open and remember that love really does heal all wrongs. And to never let the sun go down with anger in your heart! That is more important than you may think!

And for mommies, just don't WORRY. I worried about EVERYTHING- his health, affording him, knowing what to do...so much so that I didn't enjoy the pregnancy as much as I should have! I heard this from a very wise woman- "you will never have enough money, enough arms, enough knowledge, enough ANYTHING for a child. But by the grace of God, everything will work out just fine!" Just don't panic or EXPECT anything. Babies are adventures!


Jessica shares some encouraging bible verses with us, that help her.



I live by this- "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."- John 10:10

"Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate".-Psalms 127:3-5

"Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."- James 4:17

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading, and I'm glad you like the blog, if you would like to ask me a more personal question you can find out how to contact me in the "Contact Section"
Please keep the comments non-hateful, Mature and Godly.

Blessings,
Katie